Facebook Tips for Cat Fanciers
BY MOLLIE SHUTT
The House of Meow
Published August 2013
Photos copyrighted by the individual photographers
Article copyright © ShowCatsOnline.com. All Rights Reserved.
Copying or redistribution of this article is strictly prohibited
the express written permission of ShowCatsOnline.com
With over a billion users, there is no denying Facebook's massive presence on the internet. Perhaps you already have a personal Facebook account, but have you ever taken some time to think that Facebook can be used by a cat fancier? Yes, indeed!
Facebook offers networking and visibility on many levels:
- For individuals
- For catteries
- For cat clubs
Let's start at the beginning and talk about Facebook for individuals, cat fancier style.
You may or may not already have a Facebook account of your own. An individual's Facebook account is called a Profile. This profile contains whatever information you choose to add about yourself and a chronological listing of your activity on the site. It is akin to your personal home page.
Your profile information can be public, or only visible to friends — it is your choice. So much can be written about getting started. In order to stay on kitty target, I suggest you visit the Facebook Help Center for details on:
Connecting the Cat Way
Once you have an account, or profile, it's time to connect with others. In the simplest sense, Facebook offers two main ways to connect: friending and liking. In it's simplest form, you "friend" an individual through their Profile, and you "like" all other entities through a Page. When you add friends and like pages, the posts of these people and pages appear in your News Feed.
So how do you connect with others and add some cattitude to your Facebook experience?
- Add other cat fanciers as "Friends".
- "Like" your favorite cat clubs' pages. Some clubs post updates about upcoming shows.
- "Like" your favorite catteries that have Facebook pages.
- Post kitty pictures of your own, both formal and candid, for your friends to see.
- "Like" the Facebook page of ShowCatsOnline and our sister-website, PandEcats and you will be notified when a new issue is published.
- "Like" your favorite cat savvy vendors. This will keep you up to date on their sales, promotions, and new products.
- There are many other cat related pages for you to "Like". For example, cat registries such as CFA and TICA each has a Facebook page. Within the cat registries, their regions may have a page, such as the CFA Northwest Region.
- The House of Meow also has a page (stop by and say hi!). You will find a never ending supply of cat related pages and Facebook will let you know when new material is posted.
If you are working on your Facebook page and feel overwhelmed or stuck, just ask a family member or friend under twenty. They will surely be able to help you.
Stay tuned for future articles about "Facebook for Catteries" and "Facebook for Cat Clubs"!
About The Author
Mollie Shutt started her blog, The House of Meow, to chronicle the adventures of her British Shorthair and her adopted shelter cat. Her blog has also become a place for information about being a cat show newbie as well as do it yourself cat projects.
Outside of cats, Mollie is an accomplished bassoonist and avid cyclist. After working full time for many years in online community management and website administration, she opted to take a new job as a full time mom and cat servant.
Back :: Top :: Home