Since March 16, 2007, when the first recalls were made public, the list of pet foods being recalled has continued to expand into the largest pet food recall in US history.
While the original contaminant was thought to be melamine in wheat gluten imported from China, now rice protein has also been discovered to be contaminated.
Royal Canin Products Added To The Recall List
April 20, 2007: ROYAL CANIN recalled eight canine dry dog foods and two dry cat foods due to the presence of cyanuric acid, a contaminant chemically related to, but distinct from, melamine, in the rice gluten and rice protein concentrate ingredients of these foods.
The recalled Royal Canin foods are:
- Royal Canin Sensible Choice Chicken Meal & Rice Formula Senior Dog Food
- Royal Canin Sensible Choice Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Puppy Dog Food
- Royal Canin Sensible Choice Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Adult Dog Food
- Royal Canin Sensible Choice Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Senior Dog Food
- Royal Canin Sensible Choice Rice & Catfish Meal Formula Adult Dog Food
- Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Early Cardiac EC 22 Dog Food
- Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Canine Skin Support SS21 Dog Food
- Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Sensitivity RC (Rice and Catfish) Dog Food (Canada)
- Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Feline Hypoallergenic HP23 Cat Food
- Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Feline Sensitivity RD (Rice and Duck) Cat Food (Canada)
Royal Canin USA urges pet owners using the dry pet food products listed above to immediately stop feeding their pets the foods and to consult with a veterinarian if they have any immediate concerns about the health of their pet.
Royal Canin has pledged to no longer use any Chinese suppliers for any of its vegetable proteins.
more information available on the Royal Canin website at: http://www.royalcanin.us/
Diamond Pet Foods Recalled
Diamond Pet Foods announced it is withdrawing a limited number of canned products manufactured by American Nutrition. This action is limited to three specific canned products:
- Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lover's Soul Kitten Formula 5.5 oz. cans
- Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul Puppy Formula 13 oz. cans
- Diamond Lamb & Rice Formula for Dogs 13 oz. cans.
Diamond Pet Foods has not received any indication of quality or safety issues, including pet illness, with the three withdrawn products. However, because American Nutrition informed the company that these three specific products may include rice protein concentrate, Diamond Pet Foods felt this action was necessary for the protection of its customers and their pets.
Drs. Fosters & Smith Products Recalled Due to Rice Protein April 25th, 2007
More information at http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/
Drs. Fosters & Smith issued a recall due to the use of Wilbur-Ellis rice protein Rice protein concentrate that has been indicated as a possible source of melamine recently found in pet food products. As a precautionary measure Wilbur-Ellis company, the supplier of rice protein concentrate, is voluntarily recalling all lots of rice protein concentrate.
More information available at
Blue Buffalo Recalls Products Due To Tampering By American Nutrition Inc.
April 26, 2007: The Blue Buffalo Company learned that American Nutrition Inc. (ANI), the manufacturer of all their cans and biscuits, had been adding rice protein concentrate to the can formulas without their knowledge or approval.
While no BLUE or Spa Select canned product has tested positive for the presence of melamine and there has been no reported illness, as a precaution all of their canned and biscuit products have been removed from retail distribution.
More information is available at http://www.bluebuff.com/
Natural Balance Recall
Natural Balance Pet Foods recalled 4 products when it was discovered that their canned food manufacturer, American Nutrition, had added rice protein concentrate to the products without the knowledge or consent of natural balance.
The four products involved are:
- Chicken Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
- Lamb Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
- Beef Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
- Ocean Fish Formula Canned Cat Food 3 oz & 6 oz
There have been no illnesses reported related to feeding these formulas
More information is available at Natural Balance's website, http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com