What is the function of the cat breeder?
Look up the definition of " breeder" in the dictionary and you will find it is defined as a person who practices the vocation of mating carefully selected specimens of the same breed to reproduce specific, consistently replicable qualities and characteristics.
The breeder might be a farmer, an agriculturalist, or a hobbyist.
A breeder can practice on a large or small scale.
The reasons for being a breeder may be for food, fun, or for profit.
This seems to be a good starting point... but in trying to define the function of a cat breeder, we should be able to compose a definition that is more specific to the feline fancy.
Although each person must define their purpose as a cat breeder individually, there are probably some functions with which most people would agree...
A cat breeder's function is:
- To attempt to produce a living creature of great beauty, using a written standard of perfection as a guideline.
- To provide the new purchaser with a healthy, well-cared-for kitten that will fulfill expectations in terms of disposition and appearance.
- To provide expert advice to the kitten buyer regarding the particular breed and the care and health of cats in general.
- To educate and encourage the public upon the choice of a pedigreed cat as a family pet.
- To promote the welfare of all cats.
But is there more we should do or be as cat breeders? What do you think? What is a cat breeder's function? Please send me an email at email@example.com to share your ideas...